June 7, 2016

My 1990 Toyota RV LED Upgrade

In Sep 2015 I was lucky enough to get a 1990 Toyota RV with an Odyssey body, rather like a Dolphin but from a different manufacturer. Amazingly I got it from its original owner with mostly original equipment which included all-tungsten filament interior lights  throughout, about 12 altogether, mostly in pairs within light fixtures with diffusing covers, and made by a company called Progressive Dynamics..

RV Light
RV filament light- Switch in middle: Off, One light, 2 lights..
Ammeter showing draw from one 2-filament light
Volts times Amps equals Watts. You do it!
Covers Off!
Filament light exposed. I managed to buy better light-covers from Amazon, too

They do provide a warm Tungsten yellowish light as you can see but I wanted to upgrade to LED lighting to:
* save power
* improve durability
* Extend life to 100,000hrs
I already  had to replace the deep-cycle ‘House Battery”, a 12v lead-acid battery that runs the electrics which the engine alternator is not providing it, IE, when camping, and  separate from the one used to crank the engine.
The house battery  had worn out but a replacement type “22” was just $99 from Walmart. I would have put a larger capacity in but the compartment made for the original battery would accommodate nothing larger.
At that point I added an inexpensive Chinese digital ammeter/voltmeter to the mix so I could see what the draw  was upon this new battery as fixtures got used: water pump, air heater fan, fridge….
As you can see the 2 bulbs consumed nearly 2A of current at 13v. Multiplied together this is the wattage of power consumed, about 30 watts. (I like to round stuff!) bear in mind a great deal of that power is lost as heat- In fact only about 2% of the input energy comes out as light!  LEDs are also inefficient, only less so.
I did some experiments with bayonet style direct plug in replacement bulbs. These produce light in all directions so that some sort of reflector is required, and none were particularly bright.
I also found the usual colour of ‘white’ LEDs tends to be a lurid broad daylight hue that did not feel warm or cozy at all. I found it’s possible to buy LEDs by ‘colour temperature’ where that bluish light is roughly equivalent to how an object would glow if heated to 6000 Kelvin- basically, garish arc-light colour. Great for detail work and garages… not for a cozy camper.
4000K is  a ‘cooler’ colour and was much more pleasant as this is closer to the colour  temperature of a tungsten filament.

LED Panel
The yellow color of the individual LEDs here  is in fact a phosphor material that glows under the influence of the BLUISH light that it’s easier for the technology to produce.

I also found one can buy inexpensive ‘ganged’ LED 2′ square panels from China containing 48 LEDs and their required current limiters (more about this later) for $2 apiece with a pair of wires that will connect directly to 12v

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
Here we are! the bare white tinplate behind the lightbulb
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

here we go: Taking the light fixture apart, I cropped off the tin-plate bulb-holder leaving a bare tin white painted back plate: let’s stick the LED panel to that.fffff

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
Double Sided Tape included, but it’s not heat-proof
Re soldering
Fo Resoldering the wiring
June 7, 2016

Well it happened today is all I can say.
the 4 yearly Thing!

 

May 6, 2016

It’s been a Rough Ride with for me & WordPress, the server software that runs this site.

Since I registered artoflogic.com some 15 years ago this site’s  mostly gone with little or no web content  as I used the domain name for Emails and development alone. About a year ago I decided to put up or shut up and so it languished the first few months of its life with a dumb “Hello World” article and a few roughed out graphics and some menus.

Fast Forward 2016 & having just upgraded my radio show site http://www.zen.kvmr.org from a program called Joomla!-
Figured it was Time Here to do so too.

Seems  like in this short time there have been a lot of Updates coming down the line with disturbing rapidity plus it looks like the plugins interface and theming are anything but secure-
Ease of use cannot correspond to security and it has indeed been easy to use- perhaps TOO easy.
Early on I noticed to my dismay for example that installing a Plugin adds elements both to the single MySQL Database and to the web portion of the site and that Uninstalling many plugins DOES NOT cleanly reverse these changes- It’s too much like Windows for my liking where no such thing as a clean uninstall can exist and one must think carefully about trial install’s consequences…

I wanted for example finer control over the Media Library so I could store sets of images in their own folders corresponding to particular posts (unlike this one, Iusually  love to illustrate the blogs) .

After trying a couple Media management Plugins the site ‘died’ with complaints of “Too Many Redirects” from the Browser making it obvious experimental plugin use was very much a trapdoor affair- you will NOT get back where you were by uninstalling these  things.
Which I still had access to the wp-admin interface it offered NO solutions!

So Ill be writing a Cron Job in Linux to archive the MySQL database and pack a copy of the Site. Best I could tell it was an error in the Database that caused the site problem rather than its web files as that’s when I noticed a lot of Tables that had not originally been present.
Nothing but a restore to a factory MySQL blanked database fixed anything! No amount of cookie clearing or browser switching fixed a Darn Thing, and the forums were full of what was obviously lashing out in the dark remedies