So it’s a NEW INSTALL of Windows 10!
* Unbox and *CHECK* physically you have all the things you were supposed to get and that there’s no damage, etc. IN PARTICULAR- especially if it’s a Refurbished PC– Check the Battery Life.
You can often add a 3 year warranty even shortly after purchase from the likes of Amazon even for a refurbished PC.
The battery is the most likely thing to be dubious or fail
- Plug In (Surge protected strip, right?) Power Up/Switch On
- DO NOT connect to any kind of WIFI or Network.
- WAIT>>> Be Patient.
- Start answering Microsoft’s Questions. Skip or Lie if need be
- All of the following Choces can be changed later, No Problem:
- When Offered all those Privacy options I switch every one of them OFF without exception.
- If offered to Register by the Manufacturer (HP, Dell etc) I tend NOT to do that., it does NOT affect your warranty.
- If offered Trial versions of Anything I ALWAYS decline them
- When asked to Create an Account, I choose LOCAL ACCOUNT and DO NOT create a Microsoft account. I try to start with a BLANK or super simple password else you will be nagged every step of the way. Change to or Add a Good One Later.
This is why we did not connect the Internet at this point-
to avoid a useless Online Account being forced
- Connect WIFI or, ideally, a Network Cable now.
- BRIEFLY check Internet works Okay and can get web pages. Don’t do anything else yet. Try these Internet Speed Test sites:: http://www.fast.com and http://www.speedof.me
- At this point do not add any Security Software (Antivirus, etc)- Windows 10 has its own “Defender” that needs tweaking but is more than adequate
- INSTALL TEAMVIEWER– this is the Software that can allow a remote tech Access on Demand. It’s Free for one to one use
- Run the Downloaded File you got; Answer the Questions but again DO NOT Create an Account and do “Allow remote management” etc..
- Run the Program “TeamViewer” and If all goes well– you will see a pair of boxes: “Your ID” and “Password”. These are the info you give to your Remote Tech. Be SURE of who you are dealing with- there are a lot of Scams out there using these methods!
- UNcheck anywhere it says: “Start With Windows”. This program is set to run only when YOU chose it. Exit the Program.
It’s now Ready for your Technician to access.
You & the Tech will see and can control Everything- Mouse, Screen, etc.
- Exit it now, until needed right now. DO not leave ON Unattended.
because there are a few more Steps…..
- Before your TECH calls in you can save A LOT of time by getting Windows 10 fully Upgraded (As opposed to just Updated) which can be very time consuming and is important- It will use A LOT of Bandwidth (1-5GB) so be sure you are not on some system that sets Limits like a Cell network etc.
- the “Check For Windows Updates” options under Setup are not really what’s wanted as it does not always get the full “Roll Up” 6-monthly packages which is that we really need
- Check this Link. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027667/windows-10-update
It is a small piece of software called “Windows Update Assistant”. YOu MAY need to Google for it and be sure to get it from a proper Microsoft.Com Website!
- I have an upcoming Article about good software and tweaks, in particular http://www.libreoffice.org as a decent substitute for the Microsoft Office /Word/Excel/PowerPoint suite.
Take It From There!